Wednesday, March 18, 2009

It's Almost Time...

Well, the time is quickly approaching!

Just imagine...in 3 weeks...
I'll have 13,000 bees...
my new babies...awwww...


Well, I am preparing their home which I picked up today from Busy Bees Apiary in Chapel Hill.

Jack Tapp and his wife are simply wonderful!!!
So extremely helpful...love them!


(Isn't this just sexy? LOL)



Here is a picture of the hive in my living room...


My hive is an 8 frame hive unlike the original 10 frame hive
invented in 1851 by Lorenzo Lorraine Langstroth.
(My dad's first name and my middle name...
WOW...helps me to remember this fact.)






Here is a picture of
one of the frames...
so many little cells on
this sheet of foundation.


Foundation is attached to the frame
to encourage the bees
to drawn out the cells evenly.


They use the hexagonal shape
vs. say a circle so they won't
waste wax and space is maximized
since cell walls are shared.



In this photo, you'll also notice the frames are kinda close together
with a little space between...which is called Bee Space...
it is 3/8 of an inch...if the bee space is violated...

The bees will use Propolis (another product of the hive which
comes from the resin of trees) to fill in the empty space
which ends up glueing everything together.




I went to Walmart and picked up some Boiled Linseed Oil used
to seal the wood while leaving the beautiful, natural wood look.
Also, I purchased a pair of men's work
pants to use as my bee hive apparel...
they are nice an baggy and light colored...
I'll use some rubber bands around my ankle to keep the bees out... (smile)

At Busy Bee, I also purchased my other beekeeping accessories...such as...
my hat and veil...in the picture above...my hive tool...entrance feeder...etc.



Well, it's me again (as if you needed another picture of me in my hat and veil) LOL

Excited about my venture...ready to experience the bees!

No comments:

Post a Comment