Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Wanna Plant a Bee Garden...


(I found this little setup at Home Depot...think I may try it...)
I know the bees will travel approximately 3 - 5 miles away from their hive to find nectar. I want to make it a little easier for my babies. This will provide a home which is a little more inviting by having a profusion of flowers, trees and shrubs. I'm thinking... a mint garden...you know...the delicious herb that your grandma or great aunt used to put in her sun tea.


In class we discussed how certain flowers will give the honey a slight variation in taste...like mint...there are a lot of mint varieties...but they all would melt into an amazing flavor of it's own. Of course, it's not like I can tell the bees not to go elsewhere for their nectar collecting...but...it would be nice if some could have a hint of mint.



Here in North Carolina, we have many different nectar sources that bees just adore...

Red and Sugar Maple, Dadelion, Blackberry, Raspberry and Sourwood just to name a few.

There is something called Kudzu which gives honey a taste of grapes. Mmmm, that sounds good!



http://www.roanoke.com/extra/wb/wb/xp-110573

(info about the Kudzu vine)


Bees also need a source of water, such as a dripping faucet, birdbath, or pail with some floaters (to make sure they don't drown). I'm thinking a nice solar birdbath fountain. A fountain which will circulate the water which will lessen the chance of mosquitos trying to breed.

They use the water for cooling the hive by evaporation and also to thin the honey
when being fed to larva. A strong hive on a hot day can use over a quart of water a day,
this occupies 800 workers each making up to 50 trips to the water hole a day.

By the way, when I first get my bees, I will feed them
Simple Syrup (1 part water and 1 part sugar) until they are up and running.
















No comments:

Post a Comment