Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Guess Who Is Gone...

So...remember all of those pictures with the crazy honeycomb everywhere...
ummm...there may actually be a reasonable explanation.
The Girls are bored!
They don't have any brood to take care of!
They no longer have a queen!!!
WOW! I know...I said the same thing!
A bee mentor named Lynette came over to help me figure out what was going on.
She said...ok...let's just go thru each frame and see what we see.
As we pulled out each frame and checked front and back...
ummm...no eggs...no larva...hmmm...
Lynette said...sometimes it happens...
the queen may have been weak after the trip.
We were able to scrape off that huge chunk of extra comb.
I must admit...I just met Lynette that day
and had only previously spoken to her on the phone...
I had to drop my pants...as a little girl had crawled up...
trying to get up off of the deck...
I stayed still for a second thinking it was my imagination...
then, I said..."ummm, I'm going to have to drop these (pants) for a second."
NO!!! I don't have any pictures of that...(Thank, God) LOL
At least I remained cool...and still didn't get stung...which is really crazy. LOL
Anywho...we called Jack Tapp with Busy Bees...and he'll have some queens ready the middle of next week. The good news is my girls haven't decided they know how to lay eggs...they will make a complete mess by placing multiple eggs in a cell, for example.
So, until next week...I'll sit tight until I can get a new queen.
At least with Lynette coming over...I was sure of what I was/was not seeing...
and this really helped to prepare me for my practical test which I'll take in the next week.
This is second part to becoming a Certified Beekeeper in the State of N.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment